Well...it's been a LONG time since my last post and so much as changed. I really don't even know where to start, which is part of the reason I keep putting off posting. I could write a novel about what all has gone on...but I'll do my best to be as brief as possible so I don't bore you to death!
It all started about 2 years ago...my sister was planning on coming down to SD to visit me and then realized she couldn't because they were getting a puppy. I, of course, hopped in my car and drove the 7 hours north to see her puppy. Somewhere along the way I realized...OH CRAP...I'm driving 7 hours to see a dog...what the hell am I going to do when she has kids?!?!?! I thought about it a lot and realized that I would move back north...something I really didn't think I'd EVER do. But...hey...family is family. So...last year when she announced she was prego...I started my search. I couldn't move back without a job...and if you hadn't heard...teaching jobs aren't the easiest to come by these day. Darn budget cuts!
I found out I got a job up here right during the last two weeks of school down south. Suddenly I had so much to do. I had to pack my classroom, pack my house, put my place on the market, and say good-bye to San Diego. It was quite a whirlwind and being back in my hometown is somewhat surreal...more on that later! It was a crazy emotional few weeks and going back to pack the uhaul and say good-bye to my friends was even worse. I miss San Diego every day, but holding those little girls makes it all worth it. The way I describe my decision to people is that I simply refused to be the Aunt that the girls don't want to hold them. If I stayed in SD they would only really know me at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and about 2-3 weeks during summer...maybe an occasional weekend but not really. The drive from SD to Salinas is just too much for a weekend and flying wasn't really feasible because of Katy and Hurley. The best part of my move back is that the girls know me. I know what each likes and doesn't like. I know which likes to be held in what way. I know what silly sounds make them laugh. When they are upset I can typically calm them pretty easily. THAT is my reason for moving. And it's totally worth it.
Bonus perk is being close to all the rest of my family. I get to go to Half Moon Bay whenever I want to see my sister, niece and nephew. I'll get to see Jared play baseball this year, Kendall play soccer and/or basketball. In general I'll be part of everyone's lives again. It's been a hard adjustment but totally worth it. (Of course I'll adjust even more when my condo in SD sells and I get my own place here!!!
So...obviously I have a new job. I've taught Special Education for 10 years. My first 4 years teaching were for Monterey County Office of Education as a Special Day Class (SDC) teacher for students with moderate/severe autism. The next 6 years were from Monterey Peninsula Unified (1yr) and Carlsbad Unified (5 yrs) doing more of a Resource Teacher (RSP) position. There are a lot of differences but one mainly being that in an SDC class you have your own roster of kids, your own class from the beginning of the day till the end. You do calendar, art, etc. As a RSP I had a classroom but kids came and went throughout the day. I only worked on core skills...reading, writing, math...for the most part. I didn't do 'the fun stuff'. Well...I got hired here in Salinas and have a SDC again. No big deal...right. I mean...I've down this before...easy peasy lemon squeezy.
I was WRONG. It's not that it's 'HARD', it's just that it's so unfamiliar to me again. The first week was ROUGH!!! But...every day after has gotten better with a few rough days built in. I need to get back to doing art...I suck at art! I feel like I used to have art ideas...but what they heck were they?!?! We just finished week 5 and I'm starting to not have to stay 3 hours late every day. And really it comes down to this...my 'hitter' is becoming a 'hugger'...so that helps! :-)
I keep reminding myself that change is good. Change keeps things interesting.
And let me tell you...things are definitely interesting right now!
Really quickly...the surreal part of being back in Salinas. Well...part of the reason I hightailed it out of town, besides the weather which was the #1 reason, was the small town...everyone knows everyone aspect of Salinas. Mind you...Carlsbad was the same way, but I wasn't part of it! The first week or so of work I literally would find out about at least 5 people that I knew somehow...this was just at WORK! It continues to happen regularly, and I'm getting used to it and can just laugh. I'm getting used to the fact that pretty much ANYWHERE I go in town I will see someone I know. It's just takes a little getting used to!
On a fun note...I've now been to 2 games at AT&T park. The first was fabulous and the Giants won. We took a party bus up (but only knew our group of 4). The second was just last weekend. We took a limo SUV up with a whole group of 15 friends, quite a few bottles of alcohol, and plenty of orange and black Giants gear. The games itself...Giants lost...but at that point we weren't really paying attention anyway. We were just having so much fun that it didn't really matter. I was able to pick up some more gear and actually feel like a REAL fan now that I've been to the park.
Last bit for now...if you haven't read the Hunger Games books...I highly highly highly recommend. I'm listening to them, which I never thought I'd get into doing but got hooked with all the 7 hour drives I did the last few years. I started The Hunger Games that way and so have continued to listen to them. I really rebelled against audiobooks for a long time...and would only listen for LONG drives. But these books make me dork out at home by listening while I do my hair, makeup, eat, etc! They're THAT good!
Okay...thanks for reading...I'll try to be better and updating now that I got the 'catch up' out of the way! :-) Have a fantabulous weekend!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment