Saturday, August 21, 2010

Be Free Kenedy, We'll Miss You

Death is a horrible thing. Last Wednesday (I guess a week and a half ago now), I spent the day at Disneyland, you know, the happiest place on earth. Well, all was fine an dandy until I got home around 12:30 in the morning and signed on to the oh so addicting Facebook. I scroll down the status updates and come across an update stating 'RIP Mike Kenedy'. WHAT?!?! HUH?!?! NO?!?! First of all I have to thank Facebook for even giving my the opportunity to receive this information, and I have to criticize our technological world for making that be how I find out that a very good old friend has died. I then spent the next 30 minutes going from FB page to FB page trying to piece together information. I unfortunately ended up with no more information that I stared with; 'RIP Mike Kenedy'. The next day, I spend even more time scouring the internet, Facebook, and trying to get a hold of other friends to find out what happened. Nothing...so in this world of technology I can find out my old friend has passed away, but I can't find an obituary, any news, I can't find a damn thing, except that he has died via facebook.

Slowly more information passed through the grapevine, but I'm still unsure of what happened and am left to assume the worst. These scenarios make me incredible sad. I may not have spoken to Mike in 10 years, but I hate to think that he could have needed a friend. I hate to think that he may have felt alone...and ultimately died alone.

I hope any and all of my friends know that I don't care if it's been 10 minutes or 10 years, if you need a friend...I am here. I am here and I'm willing to bet that most people you know would be there for you.

In the past week I feel like I've been on an emotional roller coaster. Again, I hadn't talked to Mike in 10 years, and even the last couple of those we had grown apart. When I first saw the news I was shocked, hoped it meant a different Mike Kenedy, and overall felt sad but not overly so. The next day I again dealt well, until I got a message from another mutual friend stating that she meant to call me because she remembered how good of friend Mike and I were. For some reason the confirmation from an someone else, that never even hung out with Mike and me together, is what opened the floodgates. It was like I could convince myself that we weren't really that close, even though we hung out all the time, but as soon as someone else acknowledged our closeness I knew I was kidding myself.

Since then I end up in tears periodically. I went through all my pictures that day, every single picture, sure that I would have tons of pictures of Mike and all of our friends together. I became even more sad realizing that I have one stinking picture of him. ONE! I've spoken to a few others who seem to recall that Kenedy did his best to stay out of pictures, how do I not remember this?!?! I guess I'm grateful that I have the one at least. One final memory from our Chico days.

I'm not sure what it is with me and Disneyland...but I went again the Saturday after I found out, and on the way home Pink Floyd came on the radio. Now...I used to hear PF all the time...but I literally haven't heard them in about 10 years...I totally associate Pink Floyd with Kenedy. So there I was driving home from the happiest place on earth....crying.

So, Kenedy, we may have grown apart, but I'll miss you. I wish you would have known how many people have been affected by your death. I'm left with memories of fun times in Chico, memories of your huge smile that was always on your face, and memories of your giggly laugh. Be free and happy my friend. XOXO



http://obit.struveandlaporte.com/clients/struveandlaporte/video/816254/12651.asx

1 comment:

Caleb's Co. said...

So sorry for your loss.

And for those of us still on this Earth, thank you for your friendship - we know it is true and deep. You are an amazing person to know, and I am grateful that our paths crossed long enough for us to become friends.