Sunday, May 1, 2011

4/30 & 5/1

4-30
March for Babies

Today was the March of Dimes/March for Babies walk.  It was great and I'm so glad I did it.  The walk itself was only 3 miles, but the great part was seeing so many inspiring stories about premature babies.  Of course there were the sad stories too.  Here are some pics from the day...
 Me, Judi, Frank...and Eli up above

 Eli in his awesome onesie!  As soon as he got there a team of NICU nurses saw him and took his picture!

The start line

 Judi and me walking

 Finish line

 KM for Kendall...my niece that was almost born at 31 week but held off till 35 weeks with the help of meds!

 JM for my nephew Jared...born at 31 weeks


5-1
An overall AMAZING day.
I loved everything about today!
I woke up to beautiful blue skies.  I didn't see a cloud all day!
I started the day by heading to Armstrong Garden Center to use my $50 Groupon.  I love the Groupons that are for actual $$.  By the time I left...used my Groupon and a $5 credit from earning 'points'...I paid $8!!! I got 3 big bags of soil, 4 plants, 3 big pots, and some organic insect repellent!  I spent the first half of the gardening.  Now my back patio isn't anything special...and I 'redo' it often!  Here are today's before pictures...


 This area is known as 'the potty spot'...my dogs have decided that this part of the patio is where they like to go potty.  I actually don't mind because they at least keep it in one area!  The 'fence' is all knocked around because Hurley doesn't always think it's necessary to 'go around'.

 
 My patio table.  It has become a gardening 'catch all'.  Really not a very useful table!

 One of the hated 'bouganvilla' trees plus weeds.  I hate bouganvilla.  Really really despise it!  Sure...it can be pretty, but those 2-3 inch thorns are killer!  And seriously, the branches seem to have crazy growth spurts and then, I swear they are alive, they grab you!  UGH!  I try to just keep it trimmed to 'death' but it doesn't work.  I've tried to tear it out but just can't do it myself.  Each time I work out here I try to use my 'clippers' to cut the trunk and I get a little further each time! 

 The pots from last year.  These used to have zucchini and tomatoes in them.  

I recently transferred my indoor seedlings into the pots out here.  But as you can see it needs sprucing.  

I obviously don't care about it being 'pretty'.  I've done flowers...but Hurley likes to eat plants so that just doesn't work.  Now I just care about making my veggies safe from potty areas and away from my plant eating dog!

Here are the after pics. 

 More re-potting and I moved things over a bit.  I LOVE using the shelves to hold my plants.  They keep them raised and so easy manage that way!


 The table.  Cleaned off and ready to eat off!
  Notice the 'fence' is somewhat straightened up...there is one diagonal one in the back...it's like that for a reason..I promise!  There is a drainage spot over in that corner that has cement around out it so I can't place the fence into that!  And...I like to keep the pot area as 'closed' off to the dogs as possible.  Katy likes to wiggle behind things and Hurley likes to just 'be a boy'.  Putting one sideways prevents them from going back there!


The pots all ready to go!  They have tomatoes, zucchini, and summer squash.  YUM!  Notice anything...like the lack of bouganvilla?!?!  I finally was able to cut all the way through the trunk!  Each time I've tried seems to have killed off some of the tree so I only had a little 'live' trunk to get through!  YAHOO!!!

After gardening I met up with my friend, Todd, down in La Jolla.  We had something to eat (I hadn't eaten ALL day and was starving!!!) and a margarita!  So refreshing on a hot day after doing yard work!  After eating we walked down to the grassy area over looking the ocean.  So beautiful and relaxing.  



Last but not least...this was a GREAT way to end the day!
It was officially announced that Osama Bin Laden was killed by the US military special forces.  I'm sure things aren't 'over' and it may get worse with retaliation, but...oh hells yeah!  Adios Osama!  Karma is a bitch isn't it!?!?! 

No comments: