Sunday, May 15, 2011

May 10th-15th (Day 130-135)

May 10th
Day 130

Tonight I got to see a highly acclaimed documentary called "The Race to Nowhere".  It is about the high stress kids in school are under these days.  Between sports, schools trying to achieve higher test scores, and the desire to go to the 'right' college, these kids are enduring hours and hours of work after school.  Many kids aren't getting enough sleep and are succumbing to depression, anxiety, and plain ole not being able to be a 'kid'.  Being a teacher I tend to agree with this movie...I've run into similar frustrations that these parents are talking about when it comes to homework.  I teach Special Ed.  We have some students that literally just can't get their homework done...and some schools I've worked at have allowed accommodations for certain kids so that they just don't do homework.  Some schools I've worked in will not allow this...no matter what.  There's a fine line...and I don't agree with EVERYTHING in the movie...but I do think that there are more pressures on kids these days than in the past.  I don't think elementary age students should be thinking about college...and not just college but the desire to go to particular colleges.  I have friends that have not gone to college, gone to CSU's, UC's and Ivy league schools.  Now...in their adults lives...there is not a difference.  It's really what you put into your experience...and what you come out with...it's a personal decision.  Anyway...I recommend seeing the movie if it comes to an area around you...it's typically shown in small 'private' venues...hosted by parent groups etc.  Again...I agree with parts...but not everything.  I also think there was a bit of a mis-representation of the country as a whole...the majority of the schools discussed are from the Bay Area...and affluent areas of the Bay Area...there was one lower income school in Oakland...and maybe a couple others from out of state areas...but...most were from San Ramon, Layfayette, etc...not REALLY what the country as a whole looks like.  




May 11
Day 131
I had my yoga mat out for my P90X workout...looks like Katy likes to do Yoga :-)

May 12
Day 131
So I previously posted an orange and black baby hat I knit for my nieces...well...I didn't like the pointy top...which happens if you decrease too much at the end.  So I redid it and added this flower.  I posted it on facebook...and thanks to Kaysie suggesting I sell them I have now made 5 hats this weekend.  Two are for my nieces...but I redid them to have smaller flowers.  My bro-in-law HATES the flower thing...and I have to admit I'm not really a huge fan either...but I was just worried that when the babies wear their Giants onesies and these caps without a flower...they will simply look like boys...they need SOMETHING to make them girly.  Hopefully I'll be able to post the video I made to show you how I solved the problem to make everyone happy.  It took a few days of creative thinking...but I'm happy with the results.  So...this was the orginal...further down you'll see more. :-)


May 13
Day 133
Both hats done...one showing the 'big' flower...the other showing the 'small' flower..


May 14th
Day 134
The Patriots hat for my friend Jen.  
And this is how I modified my nieces hats...

Oh...and this is a random photo...but at least once a week I go to The Carlsbad Ranch Market for lunch...they have an amazing salad bar.  Seriously...puts every other salad bar I've ever been to to complete shame...including for you Salinas people...Della Rose Salad Shop...this is WAY WAY WAY better.  Seriously.  I couldn't resist on Saturday and stopped and got one for lunch...yum yum yumminess!  

Sorry it's sideways...my gallery shows it the right way...but every time I upload it here it comes out this way.  Lame. 

May 15th
Day 135

Same goes for the sideways thing here...weird.  These are the hats I made this weekend.  The first two are for my nieces with removable flowers.  The next two are for my friend Jen...one for her 2 year old and the other for her yet to be born baby girl.  And the last is for my other friend Jen's baby.  So fun!  So...anyone need baby hats? 

2 comments:

Amanda Evans said...

Love the Giants hats! So cute! You need to mail one to Patty...hahaha!!!

Alicia said...

haha...that would be hilarious...but I think I would end up with Dodger stuff on my doorstep not long after! I am (unfortunately) making a Dodger hat for another friend...yuck!