I know, I know...just 3 days ago I said I was planning on doing 'lists' and here I am not doing a list. But seriously, I have to write about the amazing day I had yesterday. To start with I really wasn't looking forward to 33...or it being my 2nd day back to work after 2 weeks off...what a crappy birthday! And to top it off I had an IEP in the morning...ugh!
Or so I thought!
The day actually went more like this:
I woke up at my normal time, hitting snooze a gadzillion times! The dogs didn't even whimper to go outside and let me continue a few more snooze hits. At this point I'm already in a super good mood (not that I tend to be in a bad mood, but one of those mornings you just kinda want to dance around while getting dressed!!) I had tons of extra time in the morning b/c I knew I was later getting a facial and they just oil ya up so really there just wasn't a point in getting ready. So, off to work I went, a little early (VERY unusual for me!!) .
It's become a tradition at work that we bring in Starbucks, doughnuts etc for our birthdays (just the special ed staff!!) so I anxiously looked forward to a well balanced and nutritious breakfast (HA), and my friend/sub also brought me a special Non-fat Chai Tea Latte (my fave!!!). Oh yeah!! And I got flowers!! Super pretty orange-red tulips...and just in case you were wondering...tulips are my favorite!!! Once everyone arrived at work we sat around for a few to fatten up and get caffeinated. My IEP started at 8:30...and seriously, no joke, was done by like 8:50!! Now some of you may not understand the significance of that...but it's like a total OMG sort of thing! Mind you, I do tend to get through my IEP's pretty quickly but that one beat them all I think! And we didn't even really rush!
The rest of my work day was pretty mellow without much going on. I planned on leaving at 11:30 and totally was able to! Again kinda a rare occurrence. Judi and I met up and went to Croutons for lunch...new to both of us...and we were both very very pleasantly surprised by the major yumminess of it!!! So good! Veggie panini for me please!
After totally stuffing ourselves on lunch we cruised down 3 doors and checked in to our appointments. We ended up both getting not only a facial but also massages! They were running a special, we didn't have the coupon, but they allowed us anyway! Two hours of full pampering!
Now, we left there feeling nice and mushy...what better time to go shopping!! Nordy's Rack was next on the list! We didn't have too much time to shop but it was a fun little excursion anyway.
Next stop...'Meet the Morgans'...I'm not a huge SJP fan but do love me some Hugh Grant (although Hugh Jackman is a bit better!). The movie was hilarious and I loved it. Great romantic comedy...but....the real comedy came at dinner!
Judi and I went to see the movie in San Marcos...and although I've lived down here for 3.5 years...I'm such a newbie when it comes to places I'm not familiar with. So, the movie theater is literally next door to 'Restaurant Row', so we assumed that pretty much anywhere would be decent. We hadn't heard of most of the places, with the exception of a random IHOP , and decided Mexican is always a good bet. So, Acapulco's it was!
First of all...remember it was a TUESDAY night! We walked into the restaurant to hear the lovely, crooning sounds of really really bad karaoke. What really got us about it was that it was a Karaoke competition for $500...and trust me when I say they were all BAD...like really really BAD!!! Like the bad jokes on American Idol bad! Yes...we got to hear it live. We were then seated...not far enough away for our liking from the mood music. But, moving on, we place our order...me with my typical, "I'd like a bean and cheese burrito with a side of cilantro", our waitress, "you mean the dressing right?", me, "???Uhm, no, cilantro"; waitress, "okay, do you want the rice and beans on the side?". (Now here I am assuming that she is really asking if I want it 'combo' style...with rice and beans on the side of the plate next to the burrito). Me, "sure, doesn't really matter but yeah, that sounds fine."
Judi and I continue our conversation with chips, salsa and guac. We were shocked to see our food come out mere minutes later. The busser hands me a plate with a bean and cheese burrito and then tries to hand me a whole plate of Spanish rice. Me, "Oh, no I ordered a side of cilantro, not a side of rice" (meanwhile my plate does not have the rice and beans on it but I just figured they didn't do it). The busser takes it away and the waitress comes back with the plate again and a side of cilantro (thank goodness b/c I hadn't taken a bite without my beloved cilantro!!) and says, "no, this is your side of rice remember? you said you wanted it.", I look at her slightly confused and explain, "oh, I'm sorry I thought you meant did I want rice and beans on the side to make it a meal" (said while pointing to Judi's plate as an example). Her response was classic, "NO, the beans are in the burrito!" WHAT?!?! Seriously?!?! I did order a bean and cheese burrito...the beans should be in the burrito. Whatever...so I tell her, "oh, okay, well thank you but I don't really want just a plate of rice." Okay...so that weirdness was over. But no...it's not done yet! A few minutes later a very odd couple, and by odd I mean I think one may have been an 'escort'...very very Hispanic, with big heart earrings on and seriously looking pretty trashy. The other being some kinda odd looking white guy but overall would think he was normal walking down the street. They are very much on a date. But...he starts reading her the menu with this great logic and explaining, "so they have a mahi mahi taco, that's fish. Do you like fish? They have a chicken breast {something or other}, that means it's a chicken breast...", gee...really genius!?!?! That is your explanation?!?! Didn't any teacher ever tell him you can't use the vocabulary word in the definition?!?! Next her phone rings, and does she answer it quietly? NO...she answers it on the 'walkie talkie' style and proceeds to chat for a while. Seriously a 6 year old from the table behind them even looked over like...you crazy person! (Mind you the 6 year old's table had put there miniature salt shaker on the ground...guess they just didn't have room for it...weird!!!) At this point Judi and I are texting each other across the table and trying our hardest not to laugh. Our goal was to get the heck out of the very odd restaurant...and as we were standing up to leave, this is where the escort/guy conversation was: Guy, "so, you met your husband on a cruise?" lady, "yeah we met on a cruise and have been here since"...uhm....okay....date...husband...twilight zone?!?!
So...Judi and I hightailed it outta there while laughing...oh yeah...and we got the louder version of the Karaoke on the way to the door.
Overall...best birthday ever!
Oh...and I've decided 33 isn't so bad after all. I just finished reading Dan Brown's new book, 'The Lost Symbol', and at length he describes how 33 is a mystical magical number! So...mystics and magics are on my side! It's going to be a GREAT year!
No comments:
Post a Comment