Today John and I had to opportunity to be involved with an amazing group of people...Caleb's Crew. Today was the MDA Stride and Ride in Crown Point (San Diego), and Caleb's Crew is/was an extremely large group of people that banded together to raise money and support Caleb.
Caleb Gold is the son of a friend and co-worker. He has been diagnosed with a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy (Ullrich Congenital Muscular Dystrophy (UCMD). Amy and Jeff (Caleb's parents...and Amy is a my co-worker) have done an amazing job at getting people together and raising awareness and money...lots and lots of money!! Caleb is one of the cutest (sorry Amy...I couldn't actually put 'the cutest' b/c of my niece and nephew :-) ) kids you will ever see and meet. He is amazingly smart, at only 3 years old, and so so so cute! Amy and Jeff (and the rest of Caleb's Crew) have been busy raising money, money and more money to help look for a cure and assist all those out there that are affected by MD. They put together multiple fundraising events at restaurants (I tried to go to as many as possible) and together Caleb's Crew raised...are you ready...$16,800!!!! Wow!!! They even got the plaque for the team that raised the most money.
While it was a tough morning to get up (today was Daylight Savings so we lost an hour of sleep!!) to go to Crown Point to walk, I am so glad that John and I did. It was great to be a part of such an amazing 'crew' of people. The walk was 'supposedly' a 3K...although while John and I were walking (he in his Converse thinking the walk was a mere 1.6miles approx) we were thinking...this sure seems longer than that. Sure enough when I gmap-pedometer'ed it the walk was actually 3.36 miles...John's poor feet!!
Amy~Thank you so much for including us in your 'crew'. We are proud to be a part of Caleb's Crew!!! I already can't wait for next year!!!
My only gripe about the walk...with over 600 people present and a fraternity handing out a 'gadzillion' plastic water bottles there was not a single place to recycle the bottles to be found!!! I seriously couldn't believe it!! Next year...I'm showing up with a lot of black trash bags for recycling...the money collected next year from recycling all those bottles can help kick off fundraising for the following year!!!
I have a video of Amy, Jeff, and Caleb after receiving the plaque...but of course the file is too big to allow me to post it...
Amy~any suggestions on how to do it??
No comments:
Post a Comment